Write to Elder Reiley

Washington Vancouver Mission
2223 NW 99th St.
Vancouver WA 98665
jaxon.reiley@myldsmail.net

Monday, May 2, 2016

05/02/2016

Dear Family,

This week was pretty good. I have gotten more adjusted to the new area and the people we are working with. 

First of all, I got the package! Thank you so much. I think you set the record of how much sugar packed into one shoe box! I was impressed and it was all that sweet stuff that I like so thanks! 

So Robert is progressing like crazy. His big issue was coffee, so we taught him the Word of Wisdom this week. He is usually really defensive when we talk about it, but he wasn't' this time. He said that if he had to quit coffee to get baptized then he would quit coffee. Then he came to church on Sunday and enjoyed it. Then he called us today and asked when we were meeting again and that he was just thinking about us. Then he told us he went into a gas station this morning to buy coffee, but then remembered and bought hot chocolate. Right now, the only hod up is his date. Originally it was for May 14th but there is a huge multi-stake thing all day at the stake center. So we went to Friday evening the 14th and found out there is a ward activity that night. So we are still working on it. 

That's cool that you saw a picture of me on Facebook at a baptism. Charla got baptized from the Blue Lake ward and she wanted me to be there, even though it has been forever since I taught her. She has met with missionaries for decades. It goes to show that the Lord has his timing and we have no idea what it is. I never would have thought she would be baptized. It was a cool baptism, though. 

Elder Labis and I are getting along well. He shared his testimony on Sunday and it was really good. His English has gotten better in the last two weeks. He doesn't talk very much so I am working on letting him have more time so he can practice. We randomly ran into a couple of less-actives that were not in our records that are interested in coming back. It is cool to see how we are lead to people even without a car. 

I am excited to Skype on Sunday!  It will be our last time. Crazy stuff. As far as time goes, would the evening work for you? I was thinking maybe 7:00 your time. If that doesn't work, let me know.

Good call on not signing me up for the new freshman thing. I think I have an idea of what that is going to be like. And that architecture class will be different, but it will be good. Thanks for figuring out the orientation too. It is really nice  not having to worry about that. 

On Tuesday, I attended the trainer/trainee meeting. It is a meeting that all of the trainers and new missionaries go to with the mission presidency and the assistants. Elder Brase and Elder Jewkes are also training so it was fun to see them. President Taylor had some brand new teachings for us so I thought I would share. We spent a lot of time on 3 Nephi 12:11-14. First, we talked about how when we are persecuted in the Lord's name, we are in good company. Eventually, we will be rewarded for it. Then we got in a huge discussion about salt. Who knew? Did you know that salt is essential for the survival of human body? Now read verse 13. Did you know that salt never goes bad? The only way it goes bad is if it is contaminated.  Now read verse 13 again. How cool is that? We (disciples of Jesus Christ) are essential for the survival of the earth. We have to make sure we don't get contaminated. So then in verse 14, it talks about light. That light comes from the Holy Ghost. Also what is the difference between letting our light shine and not being a hypocrite, like Christ describes in the next chapter? The answer is found in Preach My Gospel in chapter six. It is the first paragraph under the section virtue. When we are pure from head to toe, we naturally have a light to us that other people notice. When we have to force it, it becomes our own light, not light from the Holy Ghost and that is not nearly as powerful. Anyway, I have been studying those verses for the last few days and it is really interesting.

Thanks again for the email. I love you all so much and I hope you have a great week.

Love: Jaxon







1. We got chik-fil-a (I have no idea how to spell that) this week. Since it is out of the mission, we walked with a member to the boundary, told him what we wanted, and he walked across the street and got it and walked back. Haha exact obedience!
2. Elder Labis with the Book of Mormon facing the wrong way haha.
3. A giant dog we met on the street. 
4. A cool view on top of a hill.
5. Look at this dog's eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment