Write to Elder Reiley

Washington Vancouver Mission
2223 NW 99th St.
Vancouver WA 98665
jaxon.reiley@myldsmail.net

Monday, October 20, 2014

10/20/2014

Dear Family,
Thanks for all the birthday wishes. It doesn't really feel any different than the other days, but it is on a P-day at least! I will get that package soon I am sure. Rachel Craft lives in Camas and the zip code is 98682. Thanks for writing to her. She is going to love it.

Thank goodness I'm done with Honor Society! What an awful program! haha! Missions are way better. I'm really glad I didn't have to sell baked goods for wheelchairs or whatever!  Speaking of, did we ever get that check for my hard work in honor society? I sure would hate to see all of that time and effort wasted! haha!

That is so cool about the Arnold's and the Robson farm and all that. The grandpa's name is Phil Lauritzen and his wife is Rowena Stalker Lauritzen. I'm not sure who the English teacher is. I am so glad that we made that connection. It is a small world.

This week was probably the toughest yet. We were "doubled in" which means that neither of us have served in the area before. It is always tough because neither of us knows anything about the area or investigators or ward members. There are two other elders in this ward that live with us. They are crushing it right now. They had 23 member present lessons. The average is 4! Then the elders that were here before us did nothing so we don't have a lot to work with. Then training on top of all of this is pretty overwhelming. I had two experiences that helped me out this week. A lady who got baptized in September called us at 3:30 Sunday morning and told us that her son had been shot. She was basically telling us that she wasn't going to church. Apparently he was just n the wrong place at the wrong time and wasn't even involved in gangs. He is in the hospital right now in the ICU. We went over there and gave her a blessing, along with her other son, Antonio. He isn't a member, but I guess he is just really bitter and wants revenge so we gave him a blessing to calm him down. It was a really humbling experience. The other experience was at church on Sunday. We had meetings before church and listened to everything that the other elders did and I was feeling pretty bad. Then we sang How Firm a Foundation for the rest hymn and the third verse really stuck out to me. "Fear not I am with thee, Oh be not dismayed. For I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand." It was powerful and it was a good sacrament meeting. We will do better this next week.

My companion is from West Jordan, Utah. He seems solid. He is pretty quiet and reserved and has a strong testimony. And he loves hunting!! We are getting along great! The only problem is that he is OBSESSED with his girlfriend. I feel embarrassed for him. I know he is getting dumped soon. Haha! I told him that it would be kind of funny if he got dumped within the first two weeks and the didn't think that was funny at all. He was telling me to read the letters that his girlfriend sent him. Apparently his mission is "preparing him to be a great father for our kids!" Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaag! Other than that, he is solid.

I'm glad you got to see me on that video. Fred is weird. I figured he would post that video but I'm glad you got to see that I'm basically the same.

The area is okay as far as wealth goes. Part of our area covers kind of the druggy side, but it is not as bad as I thought. Everybody in Camas was like, "Oh man be careful. Watch yourself." But is tis not that bad at all. Having said that, it is not Camas, either. There is a large African American population and there are some poor parts of town. The people are more receptive and it is easier to talk with people.

As far as investigators go, we don't have a whole lot going. We challenged an 18 year old on the street to be baptized and he said yes! HaHa. Stay tuned. He is on date for November 8th. We also have a few more people we are working with, but it is a lot finding right now.

Thanks so much for your love and prayers and support! They help me everyday. I love you!

Elder Reiley

P.S. I am washing my hands constantly! I have not been sick yet so hopefully that continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment